Monday, September 27, 2010

Is "muticulturalism" wrong?

In Nasvhille Scene's article, Pithissippi Burning: Race, White Nationalionalism and American Culture, columnist PJ Tobias explores white supremacist non-acceptance to a multi-racial U.S. society stating that many Americans are not far from the old mind sets prevalent in the days of Ella Flitzgerald and the pre-Civil Rights Movement. He cites two white supremacist books, The Brigade and the Turner Diaries, as handbooks in support of the advancement of this movement and that people like himself, those against it, do not have the support necessary to live in the "post-racial" society President Obama has promised.

In Why Multiculturalism is Wrong the author states that multiculturalism "limits freedom, its possibility, and possible futures" of native populations stating that it's basically just another name for "race." In the Challenge of Multiculturalism, author Samuel Taylor states the term is the "departure from the history America has always taught its children." He believes multiculturalism is another name for Affirmative Action and that it's against nationalism and assimilation. Multicultural groups are creating their own histories leaving white settlers out of U.S. history.

Mulitculturalism is a touchy subject. When I think about the word "multiculturalism," I think about the "have and have nots." In my experience, multiculturalism in educational settings means poverty and lack of available community resources provided to the school system for the students. I've also noticed how these words have changed. Lately, a lot of educational studies are putting that word out. In the late 1990s, when I completed my initial licensure the words being used were diversity and "classisms." The words might change, but the idea is the same: How do we as educators meet the needs of the lower socioeconomic and minority students?

I think the issue here is how do we address poverty, not multiculturalism. Poverty, lack of education, and opportunity result in works like The Brigade. These thoughts come usually from the uneducated classes. The year 1965 when the Civil Rights Act was finally enacted is not that long ago in our nation's history. We as educators need to work harder to eliminate those old ways of thinking. That type of behavior is learned, but can be unlearned. I agree that multiculturalism is an unnecessary term and promotes racial profiling.

By this definition, I probably teach in the most "multicultural" classroom of all the teachers I know. Since I teach ESL to adults, my students are from all over the world. They have different languages, cultures, traditions, and religions. As a teacher I keep in mind their cultural traditions and backgrounds. For example, my Asian students are not conversationalists by nature, most of my Arab women don't like standing in front of the classroom, my Italian students love to talk, they all have different religions, holiday schedules, etc. Multiculturalism is obviously an issue, but what we practice in my classroom is respect, acceptance, and a desire to learn. In my classroom, we practice multicultural theory in action.

However, I know that my classroom is the exception. I believe we need to stamp out words like multiculturalism and racism. I believe in the global plan for a post-racial society and am in support of any educational reform that will put more money into school systems in an effort to provide all students with equal resources.

1 comment:

Johnna said...

How interesting that you bring in the concept of poverty as an issue to address rather than just multiculturalism! Are you familiar with Kozol? You might look into some of his work-- Shame of the Nation, and Savage Inequalities in particular.
Well done!